Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Forgiven

    I don't have an idea about what I should write today except what is lying in my heart. When words won't form from the mind I take them from the heart. We all have to deal with the repercussions of our mistakes some being worse than others. Consequences for one sin may be worse than the consequences for another yet we all will be judged the same for the sins we have committed. It is alleviating to know that I have a God who forgives all sin, but sometimes our problem isn't the struggle of knowing that He forgives us.

    For you it might be harder to forgive others than it is to believe you are forgiven by God. One thing I have learned is that unforgiveness plus time produces bitterness and let me tell you that bitterness festered over time is harder to let go compared to dealing with it in the very moment where forgiveness needs to take place. It only gets harder. It's dangerous. Hebrews 12:5 says, "Look after each other so that none of you fails to receive the grace of God. Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many." Corruption is the fruit of bitterness and I'm sure no one wants to see that take presence in their lives. Although this has been a problem for me in the past I have learned that getting that one snide remark in or giving that one displeasing look for my own satisfaction is not worth my time.

    Forgiving myself for the wrong I've done towards other people has been more of the struggle I'm facing today. It cuts me deep when I learn that I've hurt somebody whether it was my intention in the moment or not. I end up reflecting back and trying to figure out why I've done what I did. Most of the time I do know the cause of my actions or words, but it doesn't mean they were right. Even if I have a reason for what I did it doesn't justify my actions or words no matter how much I try. That is where God comes in. If we can't forgive ourselves then how are we going to be able to connect to God to reach our fullest potential?

    Just like the Bible tells us to forgive one another we must forgive ourselves. Unforgiveness towards others produces them pain and sorrow and I believe the same goes for ourselves. If we can't forgive ourselves then we aren't expressing any growth within. We are focusing on the hurt and the situation when with forgiving must come forgetting. If we don't forget then are we really forgiving one another? It belittles the other person in the situation just like it starts to belittle you when you don't forgive yourself. I believe one tool in learning to forgive others and even yourself is learning how to love deeply. If you love then you care. If you aren't loving then you aren't caring. Rest in this if anything, God is love and God forgives all. We are to shape ourselves to become as much like Him as possible. If we work on loving one another and even ourselves then we will be able to forgive.

2 comments: