Sunday, July 29, 2012

Silky Smooth

Silky Smooth

By: Elaina Grace Morgan

I used to think having a job close to full time,
a car that I paid in full, listening to those hard rhymes,
& living without my parents at eighteen
made me all that I was supposed to be.
Little miss independent wasn't who she was supposed to be.
Then I started relying on God and in Him I had found my purpose.
He was the right compass, direction,
The protection provided to keep me from hurt,
From all that dirt that made me feel like I was worthless.
The story is I was fed all these lies from all these guys
telling me I was a loser, emotional abusers.
But hey, they were cute
and their smooth words absurd as they were
didn't bring me any closer to kicking them to the curb.
I knew those words were slurred with deception,
But I had a fear of their rejection and
I yearned for their affection.
The only way I learned to keep them was by seduction.
They were my security, a part of me.
My vision for success
was clad in a silky smooth immodest dress.
It was a plan that I ran and controlled.
It only ended up being a deadly hold on me.
This was not who I wanted to be.
That may have been success from a worldly view.
Then said, "I'm the only one who can make you new."
Reminded me I wouldn't be content in that and
I hadn't been in matter of fact.
I lacked the only thing I need.
No good deed would suffice until I turned my life around and gave it to Jesus Christ.
In Him I was made right and found all that I was looking for.
That very day was like I was walking through a brand new, unopened door.

No comments:

Post a Comment